Home > More Questions

More Questions

February 28th, 2022 at 05:05 pm

All right, getting through to the IRS by telephone is clearly like winning the lottery.  Odds seem to be greatly against it. I called at 7 am and was already shut out, told my call could not be handled due to high volume and to call later or "next business day."  When it will be so much better?  I've tried several times since then, but it's a brick wall.

SO.... I have filled out the Identity Theft Affadavit (Form 14039) and the Identity Theft Victim's Request for Copy of Fraudulent Tax Return (Form 4506-F).  I was just getting ready to prepare a fax cover sheet when I realized that no fax number is provided, nor is there any mailing address except a generic one to Department of the Treasury in Fresno, which is to be used if I have "no current tax-related issue." Duh. Why would I fill out this form if I don't have a tax-related issue?

Anyway, for my issue ("Someone used my information to file taxes") I am supposed to use the fax number or address provided to me by a notice or letter from the IRS.  I don't have one.  I found this myself online, I did not get notified! They say that I will be sent a notice explaining the reduction in the refund, I am assuming by mail, but who knows if I will get it? If someone stole my SSN to file a return, no doubt they supplied their own address and I will get NADA.

My question is, do I wait to see if I get a notice and then fax these forms to what I think is less likely to be a black hole?  I am already reconciled that this is going to be a long, long struggle and I may never see the money.

If I consult a tax expert, will the fee make it not worth doing?  I don't know what to do.

3 Responses to “More Questions”

  1. Carol Says:

    You could contact your Congressperson's office. At the least they might get you a good address for the forms. They really can help with other government entities.

    If you call a tax person ( a qualified rep. as Dido said)to help you, ask what the charges might be to see if it feels worth it.

    You can do this. We are rooting for you!

  2. Lots of Ideas Says:

    I recommend calling Senator Durban’s Chicago office - 312 353 4952.
    Ask if they have a constituent services staff member, and if they do, talk to them.

    Either way, there are so many IRS issues that they probably have addresses and phone numbers, and can advise you.
    I don’t know this for a fact, but it is something that won’t cost you anything.

    If that doesn’t pan out, I suggest you call your local Council on Aging, or Elder Services and see if they have suggestions.
    That will also be free.

    I’d exhaust the no cost options before paying for assistance.

  3. Wink Says:

    I'm so sorry this has happened to you. I don't have any helpful advice to give you, but I want you to know that I am hoping for a successful resolution. Hang in there! ((Hugs))

Leave a Reply

(Note: If you were logged in, we could automatically fill in these fields for you.)
Will not be published.

* Please spell out the number 4.  [ Why? ]

vB Code: You can use these tags: [b] [i] [u] [url] [email]